Monday, August 08, 2005

Password Hell

So I arrive at work today and for the 3rd day in a row I get a message popup when I sign in that I need to change my password in the next 12....11....10 days.
First of all, I should say that this password is the most cryptic one I have ever used before because it requires ALL of the following:
1 upper case letter
1 lower case letter
1 number
1 special character
OK, so I had to come up with a crazy looking password and commit it to memory, and type it dozens of times per day. But now I am told I need to change it? Why? I don't understand. Really, please explain it to me. I can think of no good reason. And on top of that I learn of a new restriction:
You cannot re-use the same password you have used the past 2 times.
That prevents me from changing my password and then quickly changing it back.
Is this really necessary? I asked the Tech guys to explain to me why we had this high-level security in place and they responded, "I don't know, no good reason"
Just an exercise in frustration?
I ask around and get the actual answer and it is a recurring theme as to the root of all the problems with this place. It is aimed at fulfilling our SOX compliance (Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002)

So, my solution? Change my password twice, THEN change it back.
(Sigh)

2 comments:

JadedTLC said...

Can you use cryptic threatening FBI messages embedded in your passwords or is that banned by the Patriot Act?

JadedTLC said...

If you want entertainment, check out Kid's blog . It's a male, must-read.